Sunday 2 June 2013

How I overclocked Acer Aspire One 522 screen refresh rate to 110 hz

So I have always wanted to boost my tiny Acer Aspire One 522 performance. First I added more RAM, then I used a program to undervolt the AMD c-50 processor to save battery life.

But now I found a program, that lets me override the monitor refresh rate and it enabled me to run my netbook at 110 Hz REFRESH RATE! Thats almost twice as what it ran before ( 60 Hz ). And what is best, this SHOULD work on almost any screen out there.

So how did I do it?

( I am not responsible for any damages you do while modding your hardware )

I used a program called CRU ( Custom Resolution Utility )

Simply open up the program in administrator mode, select your display you wanna modify from dropdown menu. Then select your resolution from the Detailed Resolution list that you want to edit and press edit.



Then press the button 'Copy' and close the Detailed Resolution window. After that press 'Add..' on the CRU main screen and then 'Paste' in the Detailed Resolution window. It should copy over the default values and then you are ready to edit the refresh rate.




 In the Frequency section of the window add your wanted refresh rate and press 'Ok'.(  I would suggest making 3 other Detailed Resolutions, all of them going up around 5 hz, since its unwise to make big jumps in frequency. ) Then press OK on the main CRU window and restart your PC.

After restarting go to your monitor properties ( In windows 7: Right click on desktop > Screen Resolution > Advanced Settings > Monitor tab. ) and select your new Screen Refresh Rate from the dropdown menu and press OK. It should then change your monitor refresh rate. If the refresh rate works, then go to CRU again and add even higher refresh rates and repeat until your monitor will stay black screen. In that case either wait 15 seconds for windows to automatically revert back to its last refresh rate ( If you kept the default profile in CRU Detailed Resolution list ) OR restart to safe mode and delete the Resolution with too high refresh rate.

Additional information about CRU program: http://www.monitortests.com/forum/Thread-Custom-Resolution-Utility-CRU?page=1

1 comment:

  1. can you notice a difference? also I used this program before to allow windows 8 metro apps to work by setting the height to 768p...it was wonky but it works.

    ReplyDelete